Indy no image

Published on July 21st, 2008 | by Michael J Smith

Patrick Confronts Duno; Why Is That News?

Following a practice run on Saturday at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Danica Patrick decided to confront Milka Duno about her driving during the session.

Patrick went to Duno’s pitbox to complain about Duno, which Duno didn’t appreciate. She told Patrick repeatedly to “go away.”

When Patrick didn’t leave, Duno threw a towel at her. Patrick responded with a litany of profanity.

The incident was caught on video.

Patrick is starting to carve out a reputation as a hot headed driver, as she’s confronted Dan Weldon and attempted to confront Ryan Briscoe on separate occasions.

After watching the video, I’m wondering why this is news. This sort of thing happens weekly, I’m sure. But because it’s two women, all of the sudden it is news. Now, if they came to blows, that would have been worth covering. But, they didn’t. A towel was thrown. Oooo. And, suddenly “videos are surfacing.” It’s in several media outlets. Come on, give me a break. This should not be news that we’re talking about days later.

But, as I bash the fact that this garnered press coverage, I am here covering it in my blog. So, maybe that makes me a hypocrite.

But, regardless, the media should stop covering women in racing just because they’re women in racing!

I have no problem with women in any form of racing. But, if they’re going to be there, they should be treated exactly the same way that male drivers are.

Until the media learns to treat them the same as male drivers, (some) fans never will.

Tags: , , , , ,

Michael J. Smith is a NASCAR enthusiast and blogger. In addition to founding this website, Michael is a journalist with over a decade of experience writing for prestigious media organizations.

9 Responses to Patrick Confronts Duno; Why Is That News?

1. nascarnovice says:

So, you don’t think that if Dale Junior confronted Carl Edwards, cursed a bit, complained about his driving technique, and threw a towel at him on pit road, it would be newsworthy? Or rather, that the media would legitimately pick it up?

2. leadlap says:

After an on-track incident during a race? Yes, it would be picked up. After practice, when no pushing or shoving was involved? No.

My problem is that this story superceded the race and it occured during practice.

3. Rodney King says:

“can’t we all just get along?” I agree the “verbal cat fight” totally superseded the entire race. But, I guess news is news. People are always gonna make a big deal out of anything she does. So, I guess we need to get used to it.

4. leadlap says:

Yeah, you’re right. Danica Patrick is quickly becomming the face of the Indy Racing League, so she naturally garners coverage no matter what she does.

5. JGfan says:

Agreed that Danica is becoming (has become?) the face of Indy. When’s Nascar gonna get a girl like her?

6. leadlap says:

Probably when a competitive team takes a chance on a female driver. Thus far, the Deborah Renshaw’s and the Erin Crocker’s don’t get the good rides.

One could argue that Crocker was as close as any female’s ever been considering she was with Gillett Evernham Motorsports. But, she developed a romantic relationship with team owner Ray Evernham, which ended up hurting her career.

Right now, I think Chrissy Wallace, daughter of Rusty Wallace, has the most potential for landing in good equipment. But, she’s paying her dues right now in the Craftsman Truck Series.

7. Tim Zaegel says:

Sorry, bud … gotta say that I’d take this one as news. And, for those that don’t think it is, it doesn’t matter anyway. We’re bloggers – we can get away with it. =)

8. leadlap says:

Sadly, it is news. But, in my opinion, it shouldn’t have superceded the race. But then again, the Indy Racing League is becomming the Danica Patrick League, at least in the media.

So, media outlets have no choice but to cover it.

9. Tim Zaegel says:

Well, to put it mildly, Danica is pretty much the face of the IndyCar Series in the United States, and without her around, most American folks just really don’t care much about what goes on in the series.