Other no image

Published on April 27th, 2009 | by Michael J Smith

Seven Fans Injured In Last Lap Crash During Aaron's 499

Seven fans were injured in the last lap incident during the Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway between Brad Keselowski and Carl Edwards, in which Edwards flew into the catchfence.

The injuries were not life-threatening. One woman suffered a laceration on her face and possibly had a broken jaw when she was hit with debris.  Another woman was suffering from chest pains.

Edwards said:

I guess we’ll do this until somebody gets killed and then we’ll change it. But that’s the way it is. … I saw some fencing at one point and that made me a little bit nervous. I don’t know if I could live with myself if I ended up in the grandstands.

Tags: , , ,

Michael J. Smith is a NASCAR enthusiast and blogger. In addition to founding this website, Michael is a journalist with over a decade of experience writing for prestigious media organizations.

10 Responses to Seven Fans Injured In Last Lap Crash During Aaron's 499

1. DetLi says:

Wow- has NASCAR put out any official response, or is Edwards comment all that’s floating around so far?

2. leadlap says:

NASCAR official Jim Hunter disagreed with Edwards’ comment about a driver getting killed as a result of NASCAR’s rule.

Hunter said, “If there was something we felt we could do today to make it safer, it would be done. Our crash investigator — we’ve got several who were here — they’ll get with [NASCAR's vice president of competition] Robin [Pemberton] and John [Darby, director of the Sprint Cup Series], and they’ll see if there is anything possible we can do to prevent them.”

I expect some lawsuits to be filed, and a settlement to be reached. I can’t imagine that the inured fans wouldn’t sue.

3. Krus3 says:

Yeah why would the fan sue? she is the oe who sat close the the track.. So i will be surprised if she does sue.
    But i do like the way that he ran across the start finish line.. another talladega nights for rea..

4. leadlap says:

I do think that, even though the fans have to assume some culpability for being close to a track, some fans will still sue as a means for getting their medical bills paid and to get some pain and suffering money.

We live in a suing society, and everyone is looking to make a buck.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. If I got hit with some debris at a race, I would sue too.

5. Pingback: Yellow Line Rule Change Would Make Little Difference « The Lead Lap

6. Pingback: Teenage Fan Suffers Broken Jaw From Debris From Edwards Wreck « The Lead Lap

7. Pingback: Lead Lap Turns One Year Old « The Lead Lap

8. Pingback: Lead Lap Turns One Year Old | kansas speedway

9. Granado says:

Im not really a big fan of Nascar racing, and neither is my husband. Our son who is 6 years old is a die hard Nascar fan. Don’t ask me were he go this from, but anyways I am sick of watching it on TV thats for sure. My only solution is this Carrera 1/43 NASCAR set of tracks that includes everything my little rugrat needs to play and watch his nascars somewhere else besides the TV. My question for anyone that has it already. Does it really keep your kid busy? Thats the only reason I got it, since he has a TV addiction, and if I replace it with the Carrera Slot car track I figured it would be a nice alternative for not only me but the rest of the poor souls in my household that have to put up with the hamster cage track racing event we call a sport lol!

10. leadlap says:

Thanks for the comment.

I don’t have the Carrera NASCAR race set you talked about, but as I kid I had many slot car race sets, and think that this is an excellent thing to get a child away from the TV.

That said, once the track is put together, the child sits and doesn’t do much — much like playing a video game.

I would consider buying him a radio controlled car. Not the Tyco or Nikko models you get at Toys R Us, but the slightly more expensive ones you get a hobby shop. They can run between $200 – more than $500 depending. (I would recommend a Tamiya TL-01, which is pretty easy to build. HPI makes a stock car body called Stocker, which should satisfy any NASCAR fan.)

That can be a little steep, but the reason I think it is a good idea is because it’s something a father and son can do together, as some parts are too complex for a child to put together but should be realitively easy for an adult to put together because the instructions are easy to understand.

The child can learn a lot about building/fixing something through his experience with an RC car. Painting and putting decals on the car will also allow him to be creative.

All in all, I think RC cars are good hobbies because they can bring a father and son together to build something, while teaching a child how to think through and fix problems.

There are also NASCAR children’s books that could keep him away from TV. I think there used to be (not sure if there still are) NASCAR comic books, which encourages children to read, another good way to keep him away from TV.